TIMELINE FOR ALUMNI REUNION PLANNING COMMITTEES
One Year Before Reunion
- Hold first committee meeting and recruit committee members.
- Select date and location of reunion event(s.)
- Update class mailing list.
- Decide on reunion committee meeting schedule. Can we do conference calls?
- Decide whether you wish to invite other classes to your event (do multiple-class event?)
- Decide whether to do a class gift and consider what it might be. Do we need a separate committee to do the class gift?
- Decide whether to do an alumni "yearbook" with classmates completing survey forms describing what they've been doing since graduation or the last reunion.
- Do you want to offer tours of your school for returning classmates? Contact Paly Alum Association. Tour fee: $50.
- Reserve a block or blocks of hotel/motel rooms for returning classmates at reduced prices
- Send "Save The Date" postcard to classmates with information about reunion and ask for volunteers willing to help with the planning. Give contact name.
- Appoint reunion treasurer and be certain proper accounts are in his/her name so deposit checks can be written and income and expenses properly recorded.
- Post reunion information and start an email directory on your class webpage.
Six Months Before Reunion
- Begin preparing reservation letter to classmates with prices and reservation form.
- If doing class gift, be certain major donor prospects are being solicited.
- Reunion committee chair should be certain specific tasks are assigned to specific committee members.
- Begin compiling list of former teachers to invite (they love to meet former students).
Four Months Before Reunion
- Mail reservations letter to classmates with reunion details and pricing. In the letter include email address of class web page.
- Create a link on class web page. for the reservation form for classmates' convenience.
- As reservations come in, post names of classmates coming to reunion on class website.
Two Months Before Reunion
- Organize class "phonathon" to call classmates and encourage them to attend reunion.
- As reservations come in, adjust arrangements on food/accommodations to reflect numbers.
- Invite former teachers to reunion.
One Month Before Reunion
- Do email reminder to classmates about getting reservations in for the reunion.
One Month After Reunion
- Reunion committee holds follow-up meeting to analyze reunion strengths and weaknesses.
- Chair(s) for next reunion should be selected.
- If reunion generated surplus, be certain money is properly accounted for and a treasurer for next reunion selected to oversee "startup" funds.
- Send updated class address list to your class website so it will be available for planners of the next reunion.