Alumni and Friends of Palo Alto High School is a nonprofit 501c3 organization, established in 1997. All donations are tax deductible. The purpose of Alumni and Friends of Palo Alto High School is to provide a volunteer effort to encourage continued interest in and support of the high school. Alumni and Friends of Palo Alto High School specifically will:
Alumni and Friends of Palo Alto High School is a nonprofit volunteer operated organization, established in 1997. The purpose of the Alumni and Friends of Palo Alto High School is to provide volunteer effort to encourage continued interest in and support of the high school. The Alumni and Friends of Palo Alto High School specifically will:
- (i) provide a central place for the interested public and
graduates to communicate and to be informed about
the school, thereby increasing awareness and
broadening interest in its programs and needs;
- (ii) provide a vehicle to collect moneys for scholarships and other material gifts to the school
- (iii) maintain a web site and a directory for the purpose of fostering communicati
Who Can Join the Alumni and Friends of Palo Alto High School website? - Alums and Teachers.
How Much Does it Cost to Join? - It is FREE to join.
However, we are seeking donations to pay for the 10-year subscription for the software provided through Class Creator. See Homepage or Donations on Menu - top of page. Certain classes have a reserve fund for reunion events. If you can spare $100-$500 to support the Alumni Association, it will help us to increase our services and enhance our site.
What services does the Alum site provide?
What Activities does the Alumni and Friends of Palo Alto High School Sponsor or perform?
Who are the primary contacts who maintain the site?
Who "Hosts" the site? The site is hosted with software provided by Class Creator.
What has Alumni and Friends of Palo Alto High School been up to since 1997?
Next Board Meeting will be late June 4,, 2019, 3:30pm - Tower Patio
Board of Directors Report - June 4, 2019
Alumni and Friends of Palo Alto High School
Paly Alumni Agenda/Board Minutes - June 4, 2019 - 3:30pm
Tower Building Patio
1. I (Edie) just met with Jerry Berkson, VP for grounds etc. I told him we wanted a list of specific needs for better fundraising. He said they can always use more brown metal picnic tables but they are less expensive to ship if you have a minimum of 10
Second, he said, it would be good to have a fundraising campaign for nice furniture Alumni Room ( currently Guidance) . Probably mostly tables and chairs. This is a couple years off. I will contact this year’s reunions and ask them to donate to scholarship fund/ Alumni .
2. Update on 2019 alumni scholarship winners.
Vivian Feng - Plans to study Sociology
Kristina Im - Plans to study Biological Sciences or Neuroscience
Present: Eric, Sally, Ralph, Mary, June, Bob S. Arne, Rachel, John , Pam, Edie
1.Treasurer’s Report- Mary- We have $12, 166.99 Not much coming in each year. Major expenses are $2000 in annual scholarships.
2.Update on Paly – Arne and Rachel
1. New Principal- Adam Paulson, other new VPs, new bell schedule,
2. More Building plans. First, expand science building. Next , refurbish Tower building ( 2022?)– Rachel and Arne asked for Alumni ideas and Arne gave a tour- here are Pam’s notes on tour:
"Arne was so nice to walk us through the Tower Building. We had a lot of discussion about the potential "Alum Lounge" and what we'd like. I think everyone was pretty much in agreement to restore it to it's original beauty and character, add some grand entry doors in stained wood to look old, and rebuild the fireplace although it would be unusable. All agreed the lights need to have different light bulbs. The stairs into the library need to be redone. I suggested doing them in a semicircle in wood with a railing down the center by an artisan who can make them look like they were original. The floor was originally pine plank, but I think parquet with a border would be lovely and look very authentic. I believe that we could definitely get the alums behind such a project (for donations). : ) Arne and I agreed that the old bookcases need to be built like old ones for the purpose of displaying artifacts. I would suggest putting sliding glass doors on them with locks. So here's some ideas for the future. Other than that, I would suggest including furniture so that it could be used more like a lounge rather than hard-backed chairs. If they want to use part of it for meetings, then a long table with chairs at the far end would be nice.:
Please send additional suggestions. Plan is to do as little as possible – new heater, new pipes, elevator outside by door to the lacrosse field, some rearrangement of office space, more bathrooms etc. Green floor????
2025- maybe new auto shop are., Make Student Center bigger.
3. Thanks to John for giving the alumni scholarship awards. Recipients were Vivian Feng and Kristina Im (sp?)
4. Centennial post date- Current Building 100th celebration is now complete. Included several events such as Welcome Back to Paly dinner with entertainment featuring current students, reenactment of Parade to open the school led by Band, birthday party and celebration of Campanile 100yrs and several others.
5. Back to School event – probably to be held on August 22- to be confirmed.
6.Website – Pam is continually creating the best website - palyalumni.net- Be sure to check it out. Newest feature- Paly authors section! More to come
7.Budget for flyer and donation envelop mailing? TBD
8. Fundraising- two groups of athletes have successfully raised plenty of money to honor coaches ( with extra going to Sports Boosters). Proof that people will give money for a designated purpose. Paly has lots of potential big donors so we need 1) 1-2 fundraising experts to help us (names?) and 2) a detailed list of things that Paly needs so Edie will meet with VP to find out what is on the list.
9. Rachel requested some $$ help for ongoing cost of maintaining software for archives- No decision yet.
10. Rachel retired as Paly librarian on June 4. Best wishes to her. New librarian is Sima Thomas.
11. Ralph is moving to San Diego to be near his family- sometime soon. Hopefully we will see him at September meeting to wish him the best.
12. Arne would like volunteers to assist with reunion tours- I will include a list so please firstname.lastname@example.org if you can help.
13. Next meeting Sept 24 4PM I will reserve a room so it is quieter!
ASSIGNMENT- CONSIDER HOW YOU WOULD LIKE TOWER TO LOOK IN FUTURE AND RECRUIT FUNDRASISING PEOPLE ( from sports people,from PTSA or PIE????)
2019 REUNIONS as of May 30.2019 - Let Arne know if you wish to assist.
Website – everyone check palyalumni.net and join up.
Nov 2017 - Oct 2018
President: Edie Miller
Vice President: Lori Ann Hammar Sapigao
Secretary: June Casey
Treasurer: Mary Atwater
Members at Large: Ralph Britton, John Cabrera, Jim Drake, Kirsten Essenmacher, Nan Hagan, Kirsten Missett, Bob Strohecker; Historian, Bob French; Arne Lim, Staff Liaison and #1 Tour Guide; and Yee Lee - Tech Advisor.
Election of officers takes place annually at the October meeting. Currently the BOARD OF DIRECTORS meets three times a year to address special projects at Paly. We welcome participation by Alumni, parents of current and past Paly students as well as community members. Please consider donating your time to Paly! Contact Edie Miller: email@example.com